Thursday, May 23, 2013

Tessuti Anita Ponti Pants

Jess is off to the States for a Bio-ethics Inter disciplinary Summer Course at Yale University - wow that's a mouth full.  Understatement to say that she's thrilled, especially the 5 days in Washington and 11 days in New York, prior to commencing her course.  So, she'll need a pair of good travelling pants.  Although it will be quite warm in New Haven, so I've been told, these pants will be useful when she returns home, as it will be winter.






Charcoal Ponti


In my stash, found this beautiful grey ponti purchased from Tessuti (can't remember what this was earmarked for) but this is perfect for Jess' pants.   I also found a beautiful purple brown ponti in the stash as well, this will be for me, later.




Tip (thanks to Pippa):  I always mark my fabric with sticky round dots marking info - BL - Back Leg  RS - Right Side of fabric.  This fabric is so difficult to determine right from wrong side that it doesn't matter which one I choose, as long as I'm consistent, and these dots are fantastic for that.   





The pattern is pretty straight forward and in the easy category so should be able to whip this up in a day.  I don't mind cutting and sticking pattern pieces together, especially if they match properly, as these do.

Cut out size 6 and shortened the leg at the knee, where indicated.  I sewed up one leg using 1.5 cm seam allowance and tried them on her.  She wanted them to be a bit firmer, so I sewed with white thread with a 4.5 stitch length and 2 cm seam allowance.   Sewed up the pants and fitted - they were perfect!!!  I now had to remove the stitches, but that was easy since the thread was white and the stitches long.

Overlocked the pants, although the instructions called for sewing, overlocking and then edge stitching to catch the seam allowance.  Pants are so dark that you wouldn't see the detail anyway, so opted to just overlock - which created less bulk in the leg.  Finished in one afternoon - not bad.  I highly recommend this pattern.  They are not a leggings but a very slim pant for ponti.

She was ready to go.....unfortunately didn't get the proper photos before she left, so I will do this on her return.

Tessuti Anita Pants - oh, and a new pair of shoes is on the shopping list for NY

"Did I forget something?"

Nah - good to go!!!!!
Have fun Jess!!!!!!  Love you.


Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Chelsea Flower Show 2013 - Australian Designer Phillip Johnson for Fleming's


Now I have my "gardening hat" on - just to let the world know that WE WON!!!!!!

Yes, Phillip Johnson and Fleming's have won "Gold" and "Best in Show" at Chelsea 2013.  This is the nineth and final entry for Fleming's Nurseries.  This year's design, by Phillip Johnson, has won them the prestigious award - first time ever that all judges were unanimous in their decision!!

Winning Design 
If you don't know of him yet, checkout his webpage as the designs are amazing!!!
Congrats Phil.




Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Jess' Alexander McQueen Coat

Finally, I have been able to finish Jess' winter coat - just in time to wear, as the temperature here in beautiful Melbourne is cooling down - I just love autumn!!!

I had bought Jess this beautiful Alexander McQueen fabric from Tessuti - yes, last year and Melbourne still has stock.  Decided that I would wait until I found the perfect coat pattern as this fabric was not cheap and I wanted to do it right.

Jess wanted a peacoat style, with length and fitted at the waist.  I found Butterick B5685  just the thing except for the collar - way too big for my liking and it would swamp Jess, who's petite.  Remembering her other coat, I decided to use the collar from Burda 7458.  



Now this coat was constructed last year and I didn't take any photos of the alterations made to the main pattern.  My apologies for this.  The last thing to do where the buttonholes which I was going to make myself (by hand) but things got in the way, so I had them professionally done by Melbourne Tailoring at $4.00 per buttonhole - fantastic job, well worth every dollar.




Now to sew on the buttons - finally decided to use a toothpick to create the shank, so much easier putting the toothpick on top of the button, then all you do is take out the pick and pull the button up which will create enough space between the button and fabric.




Oh, poor Tiff, she's worked hard all day and just couldn't take it anymore!!!!  She normally would be sitting on top of the coat as I worked.






I also placed a smaller button behind each button on the lining side so that the stitching would be hidden - a nice touch I think.



                        


I also made my own shoulder pads, sorry no photos - but will definitely next time, as this was such a rewarding thing to do, and they turned out so much nicer than the commercially made ones.  I used the above book - an oldie but a goodie.  Definitely, if you're into tailoring - this is worth having.




Hard to see from this photo but the shoulder pads are not bulky and sit properly on the shoulder.




Yesterday was Jess' 24th birthday and although she had a lecture in the City, we made time to go out for lunch afterwards.  She told me that she loved the coat that much that she didn't take it off, even  during the lecture.  However, the only thing wrong with the coat was that it didn't have pockets.   I then promptly showed her the pockets, which were sewn into the seam - she was happy!!



Happy Birthday sweet Jess!!!!!