Friday, February 4, 2011

Schoolhouse Tunic

I first saw this pattern on Nicola and it looked great.   She has recently made another one in a beautiful japanese cotton.   I wanted mine to be more like a dress but will probably make it shorter next time and wear leggings for winter...hmmm (as if I haven't enough things to sew already).






Pattern:-    Sew Liberated - Schoolhouse Tunic
Fabric:       Linen (no longer available) from Tessuti Fabrics




Linen fabric


Spotted some linen in the Remnants table which I thought would be perfect for this tunic (fabric no longer available) -  there was just enough to make it in my length.   Pattern was so easy to make and I really enjoyed sewing with this fabric.




Trim from Bustle & Bows


I saw a few versions of this tunic on the Sewliberated blog site and the ruffles version really appealed to me, so decided to add this feature on mine, including some Mokum trim.



Easy method


I had never used this method before but I really liked the construction - you attach the sleeve onto the bodice and then sew the sleeve and side bodice seams (easy) - picture explains it better than I can.  I might try this method out on other patterns.



Opening and ruffles


I did make two alterations, one being to take the waist in a bit, as I wanted more of an  'A' line effect rather than just straight down.  The other was to sew up the opening, 9 cms (3.5 inches) from the seam. 

Jess loved it too - so one's on the way for her  - perfect dress for Uni campus.  As for me, will wear this to work, but need to co-ordinate with Nicola, or else we'll look like twins.

Oh well, back to the cutting table for me - HUGE amount of sewing to be done.



9 comments:

  1. fabulous....this looks like such a great pattern...would it work in a winter weight fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think it would. Have chosen a japanese cotton fabric for Jess and it is quite a dense weave, so I see no problems with a heavier weighted fabric for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this style. Very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fantastic! Are you still able to get it on over your head with the bodice opening sewn partly up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Rachel - no problems getting the tunic/dress on - very easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely version of that tunic - I really like the ruffles and trim.

    Just secretly I love a flat sleeve construction ... so much better than all that setting-in malarkey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so comfortable! I love the linen and I adore the ruffles with the trim. Feminine without being too girly :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this a lot!! It looks comfy, but sophisticated at the same time. I love the length as it is now. Wanna have one:)

    Oh and I am glad that the Marie pattern attracted you:) It is very easy, but stylish. So now I'm looking forward to seeing your version!! Thank you and have a happy sewing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As i said over on Flickr....Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete