Monday, May 2, 2011

ZIPS

I just love zips - I wish we were able to get more varied ones here in Australia.   My favourite zips are RiRi - zips.  My sister and brother-in-law (he's Swiss) have just come back from Switzerland and she managed to visit a shop in St Gallen (RiRi Mayer) - zip heaven!!  I gave her some swiss francs and my  wish list.  The first zip on the list was this one:-


Strass 10


Double crystals


Well that's where it stopped.  Could only afford 1 zip, so decided it better be a special one.  No point buying invisible zips that no-one could see.  This zip will be for an evening jacket (no fabric or pattern as yet).  So the outfit will be built around this zip.

My sister also brought back for me a packet of selected zips which were on special - 9s/francs.




I'll find some use for them in the future.  The workmanship is beautiful.  Reminds me of the old days, when zips were metal and not plastic.










A bit far to go for zips, but I've been told that you can order from them and they ship o/s - yippee!!  The weird thing was that I actually visited St Gallen in 2009 and never knew they were there....oh well, I'll just have to go back.  By the way, St Gallen is a beautiful city to visit and don't miss out on seeing the Textitle Museum - St Gallen is especially renowned for their lace.  I will definitely go back as we really enjoyed our stay there.

Some more pics from the shop.......







Hope you enjoyed the zip tour.  Next post.....yes, the coat, not finished but on the way.




5 comments:

  1. That is one fabulous zipper! I can't wait to see how you build an outfit around it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that zips like this even existed...they are gas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh it's lovely and very much worth the 3 trips your sister and her husband made to the shop ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic zips. I also never know that zips like these were around. Your special zip should look terrific on a jacket. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely zip!
    I have a similar one that is very old, with a crystal encrusted ball for the pull. The designer at my first job gave it to me as she had it for years and couldn't decide what to use it for. 20 years on and I still can't decide what to use it for! Maybe I should pass it on to the junior at work...

    ReplyDelete