Friday, September 30, 2011

No 3 Gather Drape Dress

Decided to make this dress for Jess - yes, she was thrilled.   I did make this dress back in July, but it has taken all this time to get some photos.


No 3 Gather Drape Dress

Had my eye on some 100% wool - Medium Navy Knit from Tessuti which would be perfect for this dress.   I only purchased 1.2m - since the fabric is wide 165cm and the pattern is cut on one piece, it was very economical.  




This book has some wonderful patterns which I have ear-marked - to add to Jess' Wish List.
  




I was a bit apprehensive, at first looking at all the gathering that was required.  Nic had already made it, so was able to give me some pointers, which was greatly appreciated.  Firstly, highlight the size before tracing - was going a bit cross-eyed there for a while - this really helped.  I added 2 cm in length as Jess doesn't like dresses too short.


No zipper required

Next, Nic had some problems with the zipper, which she subsequently took out.  Definitely - if you have a knit fabric, you don't need a zip.  


Love the gathering on the sleeves


The gathering was not hard to do - it's only gathering after all, I said to myself.  Sometimes, I do create in my mind the idea that it's difficult and start finding things to do -  sweeping floors, tidying up, making copious cups of tea -  everything other than the task at hand - JUST DO IT!!   Well, it was fine.  It was 8 o'clock at night and I literally sewed it up in a matter of an hour.  Don't know why it took me so long.




I couldn't believe it - was the simplest dress I've ever made - unlike other dress patterns.  It fits Jess perfectly and the colour - just right.  


4 comments:

  1. Great dress, great pattern and GREAT legs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nichola - Jess has great legs! The dress is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress turned out great. I laughed out loud when you said you create other things to do to avoid the task at hand. I also do this. Recently found your blog and have been enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dress is fabulous. It's the perfect fit, perfect cut, and perfect length. I've never had the chance to look through the Drape Drape book, but I'm looking forward to seeing what else you make from it. If it all looks like good, this book will definitely go into my wish list!

    ReplyDelete