Saturday, September 3, 2011

Wisteria Bonsai

I just love wisteria but dare not plant one - it's too large, even though my steel pergola would probably handle the weight, if you disturb the roots, it will sucker - one thing which I'm trying to avoid in my garden.



Wisteria Sinensis 


So I've decided to train this wisteria as a bonsai - have kept it in it's original pot which will encourage a broader trunk and after a few years, will transfer to a bonsai pot.  In the meantime, will trim the roots to compensate for the trimming of the vine.

Have already started and trimmed the vine back quite hard last year and it has flowered beautifully.  Might need some help later from a bonsai expert to keep the vine trimmed correctly.


Flowers emerging


I'm treating this plant as a 2 year old as I purchased it one year ago and it was quite tall (at least one years growth).  If I see it in 50 years time - will definitely be celebrating - well that's something to look forward to - isn't it!








3 comments:

  1. My husband and I tried our hand at bonsai, but we had little luck. Congrats on getting such beautiful flowers after a year of maintaining the plant. I can't wait to see how it fares after another year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love wisteria...how wonderful that you'll hopefully have a bonsai version.

    ReplyDelete