|Paris - Crepe de Chine (Fern)|
Fabric: Paris (Crepe de Chine) colour name - Fern.
Purchased at Tessuti Fabrics (Melbourne).
This fabric can be ordered, if sold out.
Pattern: Burda 126 (5/2011) Skirt
|Burda 126 - Skirt|
Jess wanted a mullet skirt. I don't really like most of the designs - some are way to short in the front and long in the back.
Decided to use this pattern and alter the front cutting out the 'mullet' look. I still had the option of shortening the skirt if it didn't work out - or later if she tires of the 'mullet' look.
Made my own pocket insert as I didn't understand the instructions - could not figure out how to do the pocket or even if there was one. What can I say - I'm a visual person, so I sampled a pocket with insert myself and it worked beautifully.
Gathering on the skirt - the side panel (above the pocket) is gathered in two sections (why?) I tried this and it was really awkward. Decided to just gather the panel in one length - easier. Measured her waist and made sure all the length of gathers added up - they did. Forgot to trace to waistband, so just as easy to make my own. Invisible zipper - couldn't find the exact colour, so I bought some cheap nail polish and painted the zipper pull - I'm like that when it comes to colour matching - you should see me when I try to match thread to fabric - has to be just right!! I think it stems from my quilting days when colour matching was crucial, to me - ah, things we do!!
Next was the top - fortunately I had grabbed a remnant of 1m which was just enough to make this top.
She knew the design she wanted so using her block, I traced out her top pattern.
|Muslin sample of top|
|Top and skirt - finished|
Jess loves wearing her skirt and now she has a top to match - this is her New Year's Eve party outfit.