Jess fell in love with this fabric, you guessed it, from Tessuti, so it was destined for her 21st party dress. I think it was called Siren sequin but alas it no longer exists.
|Sequin has grey marking|
Found this old pattern I had from when my mum was sewing for me - Style 2033 and modified it to fit Jess. No need for darts etc - thought easy. Made a sample in some stretch fabric in my stash and it fitted well (she still wears it today). However, this was not to be the final design - it was only to be a guide.
When I looked at the sample dress I thought that the front was too low cut, so I used the 'back' also as the "front" (wanted a boat neck look) - I know this is not the proper thing to do but this fabric was so forgiving because of its stretch factor, that it worked - didn't need darts and was basically fit to shape i.e. her body. I did need Jess to try it on a few times as I needed to take it in on the sides to get a really good fit so I really ended up making the dress in situ and the initial paper pattern became the shell from which I just used the shape.
Jess wanted "Balmain" shoulder pads - the amount of testing for this was educational. Using existing shoulder pads, I traced out the shape and layered bigger to smaller shapes of cotton/wool batting (used for quilting) to give me the effect - I was thrilled with the result - it worked.
|Boat neck and Balmain shoulder pads|
In case you're wondering, I actually took out all the sequins before I machine sewed the dress and then hand sewed them back - did this for all seams and zipper - yes it took a while to put them back. I must have OCD as I then found myself looking for areas that needed filling - days of hand sewing sequins - but worth it. I didn't line the dress - Jess just wore a slip underneath - the sleeves were a little itchy but not that uncomfortable, according to Jess.
|The finished dress|
|Jess' brother - Cameron|