Sunday, August 14, 2011

Finished coat for Jess

Finally, Jess is wearing her coat .  She has worn it everyday, hence it's a bit creased.   Have really enjoyed making this coat - the fabric was a delight to work with and the pattern was very easy.





Opted for horizontal buttonholes.  In my research, re: vertical buttonholes, they are used if you have a placket - shirts have vertical buttonholes.  



Red Lining


What other colour would you use on a Valentino coat - RED!!!

This is now my 2nd coat, not including the New York Cape.  Feel very comfortable now making another one - maybe for next winter.  






Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Coat for Jess

Some time back (hasten to add a few months), bought some fabric to make Jess a coat - ready for our winter. Did not commence this coat as was unsure what she wanted and she was interstate, so this was not a priority, at the time.  Now she's back home and I've got my skates on, as you can imagine -  the list is growing.


Project Details

Pattern:            Burda 7458
Fabric:             'Camel' Valentino (85% wool 15% cashmere)
Where:              Tessuti Fabrics (Melbourne)
Lining:             Red Fendi



Version "C" but shorter



Red lining to follow the Valentino theme

Making version 'C' but a lot shorter - more like a jacket.  Jess is not tall so a long coat would swamp her.   Cut out size '8' but found that this was way too big so had to re-sew the seam allowance at 2cm on all seams, which did the trick - it now fits.

Another problem, was that the sleeve heads gave me grief!!!   I followed the instructions, but for the life of me, couldn't get the ease to work.  It puckered just in front of the sleeve.  I honestly can say that I have spent more time on the sleeves than sewing the coat.   Even Nic sent me "seamless sleeve vibes".


Easing stitches


I promptly checked my 'favourite tutorial list' and remembered this tutorial,  from where I learnt the 'lots of pins' trick.  However, what I didn't do is 'read' this tute properly, so continued to sew the ease stitches.  Nic's vibe must have worked - went back into the tute and then the light-bulb was turned on!!!  I'm a stupid idiot - not reading this properly - Don't sew the easing stitches!!!!!!


NO easing stitches!!


I methodically divided the fabric using the pins and with "fingers crossed" sewed the sleeve - IT WORKED!!  Cannot tell you how relieved I was when it turned out perfectly.



Look - no puckering!!

Am now sewing the lining and used this method on the lining sleeves, with success!!!



Sneak peek - buttons!!

Hooray!!  I'm now on track and nearly ready to have the buttonholes done (professionally).  I do have a bit of a dilemma - pattern calls for the buttonholes to be vertical not horizontal - has anyone made vertical buttonholes and, if so, what were the issues - would love to find out.   Will need to discuss this with the tailor before he starts.

Need to finish this before winter is over.  Jess is back in Canberra for the weekend, so I'm aiming for this to be the finish date - Chilly Canberra - a coat is what she needs!!!!!




Friday, August 5, 2011

Crocus

I do love winter in the garden.  These are my bulbs - FINALLY, they've colonized and it makes such an impact in the garden.  Works so well with my burgundy oxalis - which does die down in summer.



Crocus with purple-leaved Oxalis


Euphorbia - Dulcis Cameleon

Another plant which is one of my favourites is the euphorbia dulcis ‘chameleon’.  I have it planted everywhere and adds that splash of burgundy.

My garden is my piece of heaven - go there for inspiration and thinking time.  Happy Gardening!!!



Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Shingo Sato

Stumbled upon this video, as you do, when researching something completely different.  I was so impressed - it really is a must see video.  What he does with fabric and design is amazing...makes it look easy.





Would really like to try this method, if just for fun - when I have a spare minute in my day.......yeh right!  

ENJOY!!!