Monday, March 19, 2012

It's a Wrap

The director exclaimed - "It's a wrap"!!!  No, I'm not in the film industry - I've just finished my first wrap dress.

I've wanted to make a DVF (Diane Von Furstenberg) wrap dress for such a long time.  Was googling one day and found this pattern (1610) on Ebay (another site which I spend too much time on).


Vintage Vogue 1610 

Considering that other patterns I've searched since are upwards of $40, I thought paying $28.00 (including postage) wasn't that bad - a bargain really.

The fabric is from Tessuti and it's called "Kissing Hearts" viscose/elastine.  Also available in red. There should still be some in the shop.

Kissing Hearts - Viscose/Elastine

I've been going to Mirta's place, an ex-Rmit sewing teacher to up-skill, fortnightly, so this dress has taken a bit longer than expected.  Alas, the warmer weather is slowly coming to an end (silently hooray) so have limited days to wear this little number.

Pattern size is 12 - had to grade-up - which Mirta showed me how to do.  Pattern was ready to be made up with some stretch fabric from my stash as a toile (sorry no pics).

The fit was fine but we didn't like the gathering around the waist, so we altered the pattern to eliminate the waist seam altogether - one pattern for the front and one for the back.   The sleeves seemed a bit passé, so changed these to cap sleeves.  Also curved the front neck a little instead of it being straight.

Bought some hideous and cheap fabric to test the altered pattern. After making up, I was really disappointed with the look of the dress (too embarrassed to take pics).  All I could see was horrible fabric and the dress looked bad.  I nearly gave up but was convinced to continue and just cut the original fabric - thanks Jess.

After a bit of procrastinating, I finally cut and made up the dress. Had a bit of a fiddle with the neck band but using my walking foot really helped.  So glad I did finish this, as I'm now happy with the fit and the pattern.





Through this exercise I've learnt that even though you like a pattern, there's always a bit of tweaking and changing that occurs, well for me it does, unless you're a perfect figure, in which case, I'm jealous!!!

Making a toile with the same type of fabric works well, in terms of fit, but not well in terms of the look, unless you pay a lot of money to buy fabulous fabric - in which case, why bother.  Hideous fabric always looks hideous but don't let it cloud your judgement, as it did mine - it's only a test garment.

Hopefully there will still be some fine weather for me to wear my dress to work - a cardi will help if the weather's bad.   Now I'm off to tan those legs!!!



13 comments:

  1. It looks great! I'm so jealous - I love wrap dresses, but alas, lack the necessary requirements in the cleavage department to pull one off.

    You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leisl. Ah cleavage - you can have some of mine. There was one photo (obviously not posted) that all I could see was boobs!!! Not photogenic.

      Delete
  2. A wrap indeed! I love this! I too bought a DVF pattern on eBay a while back for a steal - and I love it! Mine looks almost identical to yours but with 3/4 sleeves and a collar and cuffs. I don't often wear such loose, flowy and unstructured clothing, so wearing my wrap feels almost liberating! That and it's so feminine. Your wrap looks gorgeous on you - very svelt indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie. I know that pattern - have actually drafted a collar and cuffs together with 3/4 sleeves for my next winter wrap dress. I know what you mean by liberating especially on a hot day!!

      Delete
  3. Lovely! I'm glad you saw it through. And, I'm impressed that you're spending so much time improving your sewing skills. To me you're already a jedi sewing master, but it's nice to know that one can always learn new things. I hope you get a little more wear out of this cute dress before the season turns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy - more like skywalker than jedi, believe me. That's funny because my husband was nicknamed Yoda at his old firm. Improving skills - I'm always learning. Weather is still warm and a winter wrap (merino wool) has been added to the never-ending list.

      Delete
  4. Fabulous Evelyn! I too wish I could pull off a Diane Von Furstenberg wrap jersey dress. So true what you said about testing the pattern and how you need to overlook the drab calico or cheap test fabric! Very pleased that it worked out so well and that you didn't give up.
    If you ever come up to Sydney, I'll definitely have to take you to the Fabric Cave to show you their amazing collection of vintage patterns. Hooray also for etsy and ebay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Colette - glad it worked too. Fabric Cave - ooh, I like the sound of that!! It's a date.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rowwwrrrrr! you look fabulous Ev and you did well to persevere.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to laugh re: the obvious - You do make me smile :))) Thanks Nic!!!!

      Delete
  7. I like the changes you made to the pattern. It looks like a great fit. Good on you for sticking with it sometime you just want to throw it out the window. Great result and cute fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suellen, yes, it's really lovely to wear. Glad I did stick to the plan and continue. Have some more of the fabric and will make a skirt.

      Delete
  8. whoa! great job! it looks fabulous on you...good job at tackling something that has been on your list for a while. I'll bet you feel great in that dress!

    ReplyDelete