I thought it was going to be quite difficult finding this type of fabric, so I didn't really go out of my way hunting all the stores. If I came across something similar - that would be fine.
Just browsing one day at the Fabric Store, not really intending to buy, I came across this linen blend fabric and instantly had the image of those shorts that Jess wanted me to make. This fabric was definitely pretty close to the shorts in that picture. Now for a pattern - I remembered the shorts that Nic made and thought they would be the perfect pattern. She kindly lent me her pattern Burda 6/2010 115 - thanks Nic!
Since this was my first pair of shorts, had a bit of trouble with the fly zip, but thanks to the internet and tutorials, muddled my way past this. I used my favourite lining technique (underlining) and lined the shorts with 100% silk/cotton.
Finally finished the shorts and they fit Jess really well. This is my first pair of shorts but won't be my last. Quite enjoyed making them, so the pattern is a keeper.
Hopefully there will be more sunny autumn days for her to wear these shorts, but they won't date so she'll wear them this summer.