Saturday, July 7, 2012

Stripe Study Shawl

The weather in Melbourne has turned bitterly cold, so it's a real pleasure to be sitting at night knitting in front of the fire.

Pattern is Stripe Study Shawl by Veera Valimaki.
Yarn - 4ply Ella Rae Lace Merino MC - Chartreuse green (400m)  CC - variegated grey (400m)




At first had problems starting - totally my brain was the problem.  After a couple of emails and posting questions on Ravelry, I found that I was over thinking the pattern.   Hint:  the W&T marker moves in different positions as you knit, what I was doing was actually placing more than one marker - WRONG - it's the same marker, it just moves along the work, as you knit the rows.  Also, RS - is an increase row and the WS is the W&T row.   I can now knit without looking or ticking which row I'm on - great for the train trips to work.



Progress so far 

The colour of the yarn looks a more yellow, but it is in fact green -  need to practice my photographic skills a bit better.  I am really enjoying this pattern - it's so interesting to knit and I love my circular needles.  I only started knitting with circular needles last year for the first time, and at first was not sure, but I really love them now.  So much so, that I've invested in Addi Lace Click Interchangeable Needle Set, which should be on an airplane somewhere over the pacific, as I type.  Can't wait to hear that knock on the door -"postie here".

Have also started a charcoal grey and blue Stripe Study Shawl - this one is for me.  The green one is for my sister.  



6 comments:

  1. Looks great. It will definitely come in handy with the current weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freezing here tonight - 4 degrees celsius!!!

      Delete
  2. We had a pink striped version in the shop yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is an older post, but your's is the one that popped up in my google search. I am also over thinking things....are the stripes supposed to be symmetrical? I can't get past the first repeat of the 5/6 because one side has one row of cc and the other has 4? Is that RIGHT???? (Damn spacial relationship challenges...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to email some explanations and hints. Too long for this post.

      Delete
  4. Such a beauty. I'll look for your finished version.

    ReplyDelete