Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Burda Coat Dress

When  I first saw this coat/dress I immediately thought of this fabric - although the pattern calls for a wool crepe, which would look amazing, I wanted more of a dressier coat but not heavy - one that Jess could wear out at night over something lighter.

Fabric is wool with the other side poly (I'm not a poly fan but sometimes it is necessary).




Burdastyle 1/2012


I just love the different pieces and the style is so elegant.   This time I read the instructions carefully, as I sometimes have trouble with Burda, but funny how this particular pattern didn't give me any problems. Maybe I'm just getting use to them - about time!!



Fabric bought from Tessuti and it is black poly and charcoal wool - unfortunately sold out in Melbourne.




Managed to figure out how to sew and pivot - did a test to figure it out, but I ended up sewing the front without testing and then that lightbulb moment - do a test!!  and the rest was easy.






Jess preferred the shiny side to be on the shoulder front and back.    This is in fact the inside of the garment.  Overlocked the opened seams and only overlocked one of the seams and cut back the one that was going to sit under - creating less bulk.


Square point - using pivot method


I rolled the facing forward to allow the black shiny fabric to peep through to mimic piping.


Unfortunately the model was not wearing the right outfit underneath - wanted her to wear burnt orange, but if I had to wait any longer - it wouldn't get posted.  This coat/dress is great to wear on a spring night when you don't want bulk of a winter coat but the nights are still cool - and the look is more slim line for an evening outfit - not formal though.   

I really enjoyed making this.



6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I haven't ever seen a double sided fabric with that much difference between the two sides! The effect is really nice. I'm always attracted to line drawings with interesting lines and this coat pattern is no exception. Looks great - especially your pivot points! They're tough :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie, yes those pivot points are tricky but satisfying, once you master them.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a gorgeous coat dress. What issue of Burda is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - forgot to mention the issue. I have since updated the post to show the issue date and front cover. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  3. you are amazing! Love the two textures that you combined in this piece! You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete