Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Burda Shorts 115 6/2010

When Jess spotted these pair of shorts in a magazine, I cut out the picture and added it to the inspiration board.  It was there for about 6 months but hadn't seen fabric which would suit, so was added to the wish list.




I thought it was going to be quite difficult finding this type of fabric, so I didn't really go out of my way hunting all the stores.  If I came across something similar - that would be fine. 




Just browsing one day at the Fabric Store, not really intending to buy, I came across this linen blend fabric and instantly had the image of those shorts that Jess wanted me to make.  This fabric was definitely pretty close to the shorts in that picture.  Now for a pattern -  I remembered the shorts that Nic made and thought they would be the perfect pattern.   She kindly lent me her pattern  Burda 6/2010  115 - thanks Nic!  







Since this was my first pair of shorts, had a bit of trouble with the fly zip, but thanks to the internet and tutorials, muddled my way past this.  I used my favourite lining technique (underlining) and lined the shorts with 100% silk/cotton.    




Finally finished the shorts and they fit Jess really well.   This is my first pair of shorts but won't be my last.  Quite enjoyed making them, so the pattern is a keeper.




Hopefully there will be more sunny autumn days for her to wear these shorts, but they won't date so she'll wear them this summer. 



Sunday, April 1, 2012

Caught in the Net

When this fabric came into the store - it sold out quickly.

Fabric:
Caught in the Net (Italy) 50% cotton and 50% acetate purchased at Tessuti.  Black still available in Melbourne.






Reverse of fabric


Top which I've copied
Purchased this top for Jess, as I wanted to copy it and bonus - it was on sale.

I've made this top twice already - once as a test in grey stretch (cheap fabric but Jess wears it anyway) and the other in merino wool, lovely deep green purchased at the Fabric Store when they had their sale.
This design really suits Jess, but this time she wanted one that was shorter in the back and longer at the front - more like a sweater, but still having that tapered look.   It's nice to see cropped fronts are still in trend.




Made the pattern, as per the above brief.   We decided to use the wrong side of the fabric for the dropped sleeves and a strip off the selvedge edge to use as a small collar.





As with most knits, overlocking all pieces before sewing is highly recommended to stop fraying.  To eliminate bulk, I hand sewed all the seams open, a task which I tend to leave for night time.







This top came together very quickly and Jess loves the fabric and top.  


"Ivory Smiles"

The black fabric is still available, so decided to purchase some to make a sweater for me too, in a different style.  


Sasanqua Camellia 'Setsugekka'

Camellia 'Setsugekka' flowering now in my garden.