Friday, January 18, 2013

Burda Pants 123 (6/2011)

On one of our shopping days at Tessuti, Jess spotted this fabric, and knew exactly what she wanted - pair of cropped pants.  




The blend is wool/viscose/acetate/poly - "New Hepburn" which is still available.  It is quite a firm fabric, so no stretch whatsoever - not what the pattern called for, but still worth a try. 




Pattern is from the Burda 6/2011 book - pattern 123.

I cut the smallest size - since the original pattern called for stretch fabric, wasn't sure if it would be enough, so I added another 2 cms - yep, could have saved myself some time and just cut the next size up - Doh!!!!

Since I wasn't confident with the sizing, thought it best to fit Jess directly.  I actually had to take it in, so the extra 2 cms was not required.  What did I learn - to attend a pants course and learn the finer details of making pants.   





Jess is happy - isn't that all that matters.  At least I've mastered pattern matching.  This is something I take a great deal of care with, as nothing screams hand-made than lines that don't match.  Having said that, some cheap imports don't care and don't match their stripes/checks.  




I have some fabric left-over, so a skirt might be nice. 



11 comments:

  1. Love the pants and Jess definitely looks happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! And very Audrey Hepburn, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are gorgeous. The fabric is beautiful and they look so classic against her black blouse!! I'm totally loving the look - and the fit? Looks spot on to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing that pattern in Burda when I got it, and thought it was adorable then, but they are even cuter than I remember!! Cute fabric and she looks great! And well done on the pattern matching ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pants look sooooo cute!! I'm a skirt-girl and hardly wear pants but this post changed my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeyco. I love your clothes, so this is a great compliment. I always wore pants and never dresses, now I love to wear dresses!! A change is good sometimes.

      Delete
  6. These look fabulous. You've done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome fit! I can't stand when the plaids/stripes/lines don't match up. My mom was my home ec teacher in middle school and she always made a big deal about matching up your prints....it stuck with me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are super stylish!! I love the shape and the fabric too. Jess looks just gorgeous. I have this issue too; you've inspired me to go and give these a second look :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking pants on your gorgeous daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I meant to comment long ago, but I obviously forgot! I love these pants, and I have it on my to-do list to make some with a very similar shape. Such a classic!

    ReplyDelete