Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Jess' Alexander McQueen Coat

Finally, I have been able to finish Jess' winter coat - just in time to wear, as the temperature here in beautiful Melbourne is cooling down - I just love autumn!!!

I had bought Jess this beautiful Alexander McQueen fabric from Tessuti - yes, last year and Melbourne still has stock.  Decided that I would wait until I found the perfect coat pattern as this fabric was not cheap and I wanted to do it right.

Jess wanted a peacoat style, with length and fitted at the waist.  I found Butterick B5685  just the thing except for the collar - way too big for my liking and it would swamp Jess, who's petite.  Remembering her other coat, I decided to use the collar from Burda 7458.  



Now this coat was constructed last year and I didn't take any photos of the alterations made to the main pattern.  My apologies for this.  The last thing to do where the buttonholes which I was going to make myself (by hand) but things got in the way, so I had them professionally done by Melbourne Tailoring at $4.00 per buttonhole - fantastic job, well worth every dollar.




Now to sew on the buttons - finally decided to use a toothpick to create the shank, so much easier putting the toothpick on top of the button, then all you do is take out the pick and pull the button up which will create enough space between the button and fabric.




Oh, poor Tiff, she's worked hard all day and just couldn't take it anymore!!!!  She normally would be sitting on top of the coat as I worked.






I also placed a smaller button behind each button on the lining side so that the stitching would be hidden - a nice touch I think.



                        


I also made my own shoulder pads, sorry no photos - but will definitely next time, as this was such a rewarding thing to do, and they turned out so much nicer than the commercially made ones.  I used the above book - an oldie but a goodie.  Definitely, if you're into tailoring - this is worth having.




Hard to see from this photo but the shoulder pads are not bulky and sit properly on the shoulder.




Yesterday was Jess' 24th birthday and although she had a lecture in the City, we made time to go out for lunch afterwards.  She told me that she loved the coat that much that she didn't take it off, even  during the lecture.  However, the only thing wrong with the coat was that it didn't have pockets.   I then promptly showed her the pockets, which were sewn into the seam - she was happy!!



Happy Birthday sweet Jess!!!!!  


11 comments:

  1. It's bloody gorgeous Ev and, as always, you've done a superb job. We've still got some of that fabric left in Melb, so if you want to make me one...;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - have amended the post to mention that the fabric is still available - I'm surprised!! Will pop in soon to say hi to everyone. Cheers - Ev

      Delete
  2. You did such a fantastic job! I hope she had a great birthday and I am so excited that she loves the coat! Yay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie - I had fun making this for her.

      Delete
  3. That is a lovely coat well done . I am making one for myself and then one each for my boys cause Melbourne is getting chilly isnt it ? I love Melbourne tailoring too.!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a superb effort! It looks beautiful and she looks as though she loves it...great work! I can't believe you had to point out the pockets :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this fabric when I first saw it - wish I grabbed some at the time. It looks amazing in the coat - is it really that cold in Melbourne already??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suellen, it's not that cold, but Jess feels it more. Melbourne store still has some of this fabric left. It's a gorgeous fabric and Jess is thrilled with her new coat.

      Delete
  6. Evelyne, I love this coat and the fabric. All that work you have done to get the details just right has certainly paid off. Great job. Good to see you back blogging about your sewing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous coat! You never fail to impress and inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A gorgeous coat and so professional looking.What a great Mum you are. I love making coats. They're my favorite thing to make. I too make my own shoulder pads and they fit so much better than ready mades.

    ReplyDelete